The Stone Bridge, or the Fauquier and Alexandria Turnpike bridge over Bull Run, was important to both the Confederate and Union armies during the Civil War. The Union army fired the opening shots of the First Battle of Manassas over Stone Bridge, and later used this bridge in their retreat from the Second Battle of Manassas.
Built in 1825, blown up by the Confederate army in 1862, temporarily rebuilt in wood and destroyed again by the Union army in the same year, and fully rebuilt by 1884, the bridge remained in active use until the road was realigned in 1926. The reconstructed bridge maintains its historic appearance. Since 1959, the Stone Bridge has been managed by the National Park Service.
These photographs of and near the Stone Bridge were taken in April, 2016.
For more information about the Manassas National Battlefield Park in Virginia, visit the website at https://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htm.