Náfplio (also known as Navplion and Nauplia) is located on the Argolic Gulf about two hours drive time southwest of Athens, Greece, in the eastern Peloponnese. The older part of this seaport town is found on a peninsula, while the newer parts climb the surrounding hillside.
The Palamidi Fortress overlooks the town and harbor from the hilltop, while the island fort Bourtza sits in the middle of the harbor. Both forts were built by the Venetians.
The apartment we rented was located at the rooftop level with excellent views of the old town and harbor, as well as spectacular views of sunset and sunrise. The previous three nighttime images and the following sunrise image were taken from this rooftop.
The old town is flat and very walkable, with many interesting shops and restaurants. Children enjoy playing in Constitution Square while their parents chat nearby.
We visited the very old and historically important Metropolitan Church of Aghios Georgious, which was built in the early 1500s by the Venetians.
A Greek Orthodox church since 1822, it was twice converted into a mosque during Turkish occupations.
One of the most popular shops in Náfplio is the Antica Gelateria di Roma, which serves authentic Italian gelato. A non-stop line snakes through this shop, and satisfied patrons stand on the small square outside to enjoy this delicious treat.
While the town itself is popular with tourists and a destination for cruise ships, it is centrally located for visiting several important ruins, including Mycenae and Epidavros.